Saturday, March 26, 2011

Interview with Jon Appleton [updated]

Jon Appleton taught me nearly everything important I know about music and composing. Here's a wonderful interview he just posted on YouTube. Enjoy his creativity and warmth!



I feel incredibly fortunate to have learned from him and remain grateful for the opportunities he provided, the wisdom he imparted, and the challenges he set before me.

His pedagogical style, what he taught, and why he taught were main drivers for my own educational efforts at the Duke University Talent Identification Program and related projects.

[Updated to include the latest version of the video. Thanks, Ray!]

1 comment:

Jon Appleton said...

If this by Ray G. I merely want to say that it is easy to be a good teacher when you have intelligent, open and enthusiastic students like Ray. Most rewarding is when many years later these former students become your friends for life like Ray...and Ko, John, Ted, Ileana, Paul, Tae Hong, Kristina, Carmen, Anu, Tim S., others who will forgive me for not naming them and the twenty-somethings I am just getting to know.