Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hot and Raining

Until July 29, I am at Duke University, teaching at the Talent Identification Program.

I’m here!

My flights were relatively uneventful – I sat in the exact same seat on two identical planes, both times lucky enough to have the middle vacant. However, the DFW-RDU leg was troubled by bad weather and we had to sit on the ground on the plane for 2 hours.

Aside from the usual nausea of getting up at 3:30 am to get to the airport (I don’t think the bad yogurt and fruit I ate for breakfast helped much!), everything was fine. Read some magazines. Slept a bit.

Turns out a few old friends are visiting in town this weekend – an unexpected bonus. Hot and rainy. Not as hot as I expected, and apparently the rain is part of a cold front moving through which should keep things cool tomorrow. The rain is the good, old-fashioned, East Coast kind of rain that’s like someone turned a shower on. It hisses against the pavement. Wonderful! Can’t get that kind of rain in San Francisco.

Ate some Mexican food, met some of the new staff. They asked me what I did for a living. I told them, and surprisingly, they’d actually heard of Rhapsody. Unfortunately, some of them through the TV commercials…

Adam made it in, but I haven’t seen him yet.

Now it’s 1:34 am on Thursday, and I’m almost tired enough to sleep. I better, because I have to get up way early tomorrow. I’m excited to be here, though I already miss my wife very much. Just walking around campus, catching the scent of the place, seeing the buildings…I feel like I’m 16 again.

1 comment:

isaacjosephson said...

From your previous post, it sounds like you really need this time off from everyday life. Hope you enjoy and return invigorated.