Sunday, February 08, 2009

RPM Challenge: Day 7 - Breakthroughs

This year's record has felt more difficult than the previous years. Perhaps I have excessively high expectations, given how well the other records turned out. Maybe I've just made things very difficult for myself. Likely I have forgotten exactly how hard the last 2 years were. Whatever the reasons, I've had a tough time getting into a working groove.

Today I managed to get one of the new songs to "kick over" - to get to a point where it actually sounds like it will work and is tolerable. Even my lovely wife said it sounded good, and she's a tough critic, especially of my computer-involved music.

The track is tentatively called "The Signal". I took it from being a 1:30 sketch to a reasonably interesting 5:00 track. It still needs some drum touches and final vocals, but I think it's otherwise nearly done.

Yesterday and today I also moved the lyrics along quite a bit. I've got some momentum going now. It always gets easier after the first couple of tracks.

On a more technical note, I'm recording at 24 bit, 88.2 kHz, which is "better" than my previous 24 bit 44.1 kHz settings. I initially tried 24 bit 96 kHz, but it was just too unstable and not as suited for CD conversion. I have to be a bit more careful about plug-in usage with these new settings - it definitely is harder on the CPU.

I think I'll have to go back to using the Pod a bit more for amp emulation. Reaktor does a fine, or at least interesting job, but it's too much CPU for not enough difference. I think I'm better off treating the sounds afterwards. I don't need the extra flexibility. Either that or I need to print the effects sooner.

Tomorrow I will make some efforts at a David Sylvian/Fennesz-influenced track.

No comments: